While aging is a natural and inevitable process, many individuals seek ways to rejuvenate their appearance and combat the signs of aging. Cosmetic surgery offers various options to address these concerns and help individuals regain a youthful and refreshed look. At Somerset Plastic Surgery, our experienced surgeons provide a range of cosmetic procedures to help meet our patient’s goals. Here are four cosmetic surgery options for aging skin:
1. Facelift (Rhytidectomy)
A facelift, also known as rhytidectomy, is one of the most well-known and effective cosmetic surgeries for addressing aging skin concerns. This procedure can tighten sagging facial muscles, remove excess skin, and reduce the appearance of deep wrinkles and folds. Facelifts are often performed on the lower face and neck, and they can produce dramatic results in rejuvenating a person’s overall facial appearance.
How It Works:
During a facelift, the surgeon makes an incision around the ear and along the hairline. The underlying muscles and tissues are then raised and repositioned. Excess skin is trimmed away, and the remaining skin is re-draped for a smoother and tighter appearance.
- Facelifts are surgical procedures that require downtime for recovery.
- Results can last several years but do not halt the natural aging process.
- Side effects may include swelling, bruising, and discomfort during the initial recovery period.
2. Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
Eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, targets signs of aging around the eyes. This procedure can address sagging eyelids, under-eye bags, and excess skin that makes a person look tired or aged. Blepharoplasty can significantly enhance one’s overall appearance by rejuvenating the eye area.
How It Works:
During upper eyelid surgery, incisions are made in the eyelids’ natural creases to remove excess skin and fat. In lower eyelid surgery, the surgeon typically makes the incisions below the lower lash line to address puffiness and excess skin.
- Blepharoplasty can provide a more youthful and refreshed appearance to the eyes.
- Recovery time is relatively short, but patients may experience temporary swelling and bruising.
- Results are long-lasting, but the aging process continues.
3. Forehead Lift (Browplasty)
A brow or forehead lift is a cosmetic surgery aimed at addressing sagging eyebrows and forehead wrinkles. It can create a youthful and alert appearance by elevating the brow position and smoothing forehead lines. Somerset Plastic Surgery’s team of surgeons have years of experience in performing forehead lifts, making some patients appear 10-15 years younger.
How It Works:
Making incisions either along the hairline or within the natural creases of the forehead is required for a brow lift. The surgeon removes extra skin and smoothes wrinkles by lifting and repositioning the underlying tissues.
- Brow lifts are effective in rejuvenating the upper face.
- Recovery time is typically shorter than other facial surgeries, but swelling and bruising are common.
- Results can last for several years, but ongoing maintenance may be required.
4. Neck Lift (Platysmaplasty)
A neck lift is a cosmetic surgery designed to improve the appearance of the neck and jawline by addressing issues such as loose neck skin, muscle banding, and excess fat deposits. It can provide a more youthful and defined neck contour.
How It Works:
Incisions are made behind the ears and/or under the chin during a neck lift. The surgeon tightens the underlying muscles, removes excess fat, and trims away loose skin. This is done to create a smoother and firmer neck appearance.
- Neck lifts are effective in rejuvenating the neck and jawline.
- Recovery time may vary, but patients can expect some swelling and discomfort.
- Results can be long-lasting, but lifestyle factors like sun exposure and weight fluctuations may impact the outcome.
Choose Somerset Cosmetic Surgery Today
At Somerset Plastic Surgery, we specialize in a variety of procedures, from facelifts and blepharoplasties to brow lifts and rhinoplasties. Our professionals can help you select a suitable approach for achieving your cosmetic surgery goals. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.